Whether you’ve just graduated and are putting together your first apartment (congratulations!) or you already have a place and are looking to add a few new pieces, I’ve put together a round-up of finds that would go beautifully together to create a calm and airy living space. Many are from the T. J. Maxx website, and they won’t last long, so if you find a bargain you like, go for it! I don’t make any commission on these links, nor have I seen them in person — they are just fun online finds I wanted to share!
If you’d like help with a Custom Design Plan ($350) created specifically for your home, or if you’re interested in a 90-Minute Design Consultation ($60) where I can help you troubleshoot particular interior design dilemmas, please reach out! Long-distance Custom Design Plans and Consultations are options, too! You can find out more information on my website, www.canvasandlightinteriors.com.
Here are links and a little bit of the “why” behind each item I chose to showcase on the “Calm + Airy Apartment” moodboard above. The custom sourcelists I create for clients are very similar, including links and also explanations as to why I recommended each piece. I hope you find some helpful furnishings and accessories for your own home here! Enjoy!
1. Cynthia Rowley Linen Look Curtains from T. J. Maxx ($39.99). These curtains are 96” long – perfect for mounting near the top of 8’ ceilings to make windows look bigger, drawing the eye upward. This package is a set of two panels. They are cotton (not polyester - yay!) and have a beautifully detailed print.
2. Three Hands Rose Gold Wall Clock from T. J. Maxx ($12.99). So sophisticated! 12” diameter and light and airy style. Perfect for a small sliver of wall in your living room, kitchen, or office.
3. Framed Abstract Watercolor Wall Canvas from Target ($33.24). Great price for a 24” x 24” piece! The white background and cheerful colors make this a sweet piece for decorating an empty wall in your home.
4. White Textured Stoneware 16-piece Dinnerware Set from World Market ($107.86). How cute are those honeycomb-patterned dishes?! Love that this set is neutral yet has texture. Great for mixing and matching with favorite serving pieces.
5. Jimco Set of 2 Ceramic Striped Lamps from T. J. Maxx ($79.99). This set of two means each lamp is roughly $40, which is a great price for a stylish, neutral ceramic lamp. They are 25” tall, which is ideal, and they have 3-way switches, too. You could use them on end tables in a living room or on night stands in a bedroom (or both!).
6. Three Hands Aluminum Sculpture from T. J. Maxx ($24.99). This gold-colored sculpture is 9.5” x 8.5” – perfect for styling a bookshelf! Place a pretty stack of books to one side of the shelf, and use this sculpture to offset them and add interest on the other side.
7. Silkcraft of Oregon Plant in Small Cement Ledge from T. J. Maxx ($14.99). This 9” x 4.25” faux plant would look adorable on open shelving or on a little kitchen window sill.
8. The Love & Lemons Cookbook from T. J. Maxx ($19.99). I’ve seen this beautiful cookbook used often as a styling prop for kitchens. Be sure to keep it out on display! (And note that Anthropologie is selling it for $35!)
9. Uma Metal Wall Décor from T. J. Maxx ($12.99). This gold-toned décor piece is 42”H x 12” W. Super pretty and shiny, and perfect for decorating a narrow swath of wall. And it’s twice the size of a this similar-looking bronze piece selling for $135 from The Citizenry!
10. Chambray Hemstitch Tablecloth by Cynthia Rowley from T. J. Maxx ($12.99 – 16.99, depending on the size). The denim blue color of this cotton tablecloth will look lovely set with white dishes and a vase of fresh flowers. I can picture it inside or outside – the hemstitch trim has such a summery vibe.
11. Made in Portugal Ombre Ceramic Vase from T. J. Maxx ($19.99). This large vase is 7” W x 12.5” H. It would be great for decorating a mantel with leafy branches. Love its ombre color scheme.
12. 6-Inch Globe on Wood Base Handcrafted in India from T. J. Maxx ($12.99). This little globe would be another great accessory for styling bookshelves! Love that it is purely neutral colors.
13. Beaches by Gray Malin from T. J. Maxx ($19.99). Love Gray Malin’s aerial photography! Perfect (and popular) coffee table book, and selling for less here than other online retailers.
14. Magaschoni Striped Pillow from T. J. Maxx ($16.99). 18” x 18” is a great size, and its tassels and neutral colors make it a fun, textural addition to a sofa or chair.
15. Made in Indonesia Large Banana Basket from T. J. Maxx ($19.99). This basket has cute pom-poms, and at 16.5”W x 13”H, it would work well for storing small toys or other items on a shelf. These baskets are available in other smaller sizes as well.
16. 60” Potted Olive Tree by Lloyd and Hannah from Target ($113.99). With a faux cement pot, this artificial olive tree would add beauty to a corner of a room, especially if you are needing a decor item with height.
17. Dynamic Rugs Chunky Woven 5 x 8 Area Rug from T. J. Maxx ($149.99). This neutral polyester/cotton rug has a great texture, and would create a cozy foundation for a furniture grouping.
18. Privilege Indoor/Outdoor Ceramic Garden Stool from T. J. Maxx ($39.99). This is a great price for a ceramic garden stool. It can be used as an accent table either indoors or outdoors!
19. Inup Home Made in Portugal Striped Duvet Set from T. J. Maxx ($59.99 for queen). This cotton duvet cover with two shams is a great find! Its white background with thin gray stripes is very on-trend, and it will give a bedroom an airy and calm look.
20. Boone Kids Five-Shelf Bookcase from Target ($153.99). This piece is on clearance – what a steal! It’s 70”H x 32”W x 13”D. It could work well in so many different rooms of a home! Love the combo of white and wood together.